I have a dirty secret to share with you. For all of the learning and practice that I have done to heal myself, I made a detour awhile back. There was a huge chunk of time where I felt so vibrant, so healthy, and “normal.” Normal to me is feeling disease free and abundantly alive. I got comfortable in thinking that I was totally healed and that I could live like any other fabulous human being around that could eat pizza, chips, and all that tempting stuff (wheat, gluten, and dairy) without suffering from the consequences. Huge mistake. My mysathenia gravis symptoms came back.
I share this detour with you because I don’t want you make the same mistake. When you decide to make a lifestyle change stick to it. Know that the steps that you are taking to heal yourself are also the steps that you need to maintain that health. This time around, I am not worried that MG will stay with me forever because I know exactly what needs to be done for vibrant health.
This way of living is my medicine not just a lifestyle choice
For a lot of you, it can be a lifestyle choice to feel, look, and live your best. For others, this way of eating and living may be one of the few ways for you to live a life of quality. Be honest with yourself why you are making changes. Your why will be the main fuel of success. Either way, I am here to support you and your journey.
Step 1 to resetting my system is through a juicing cleanse. The first time I did one, I went for 49 days on just fresh green juice, water, and coconut water. From that experience, I healed up dramatically but I also learned since then more appropriate lengths of time and recipes to make it better.
Phase 1: Juice Cleanse – 7 to 14 days using a variety of recipes
- 7 days of juice cleansing is manageable, effective and safe. Depending on where you are at with your health you can go longer but keep it under 14 days. Going to long on just liquids can mess with your metabolism and thyroid function.
- Vary the juice recipe daily. This is a key strategic move because when you consume the exact same thing for 4 days or more, your body can become sensitive to those ingredients. Also, it simply gets boring to drink the same thing day in and day out. This has got to be fun for you to keep going.
- Respect your body and your process. If you can only do 3 days that is better than zero days. To start, you can try it for one day only or just add 1 green juice in a day. Love yourself along the way.
- Know that when you are drinking green juice, you are nutrient loading your body, detoxing, hydrating, and giving your digestive system a break that allows for healing to occur where you need it in your body. WIN!
On to the green juice recipes that will keep you smiling. Lets cover the basics of the green juice formula:
- Your base are things like carrots, cucumber, and celery.
- Your green comes from things like spinach, kale, and other green leafy beauties.
- Your sweetener are things like beets, carrots, pineapple, apples.
- Your extra zing and exra flavour come from things like lemon, ginger, and herbs.
With this formula, you can totally experiment with what you have in your home. If you are diabetic, use less sweeteners. If you are brand new, don’t be shy with your apples because it will make your first green juice experience more inviting. If I want to, I can leave out the sweeteners and still be happy with my juice. Don’t be afraid to make it your own.
Dark Green Beauty
Juice: 2 Cucumbers, 5 Celery stalks, 3 cups of mix organic greens, 1 apple, and 1/2 a lemon
Juice: 1/2 a pineapple, 1/2 an apple, 1/2 a lemon, and 2 cups of spinach
Extra Vitamin C
Juice: 1 cucumber, 5 celery stalks, 4 carrots, 2 apples, 3 cups of spinach and a nub of ginger
For my cleanse days, I will drink 3-4 mason jars of juice a day. On top of it, I will be certain to drink a lot of water, too. If I am cold, I indulge in some herbal teas. Listen to your body and love it.
I am often ask what juicer I use in particular. Right now, I have the Hurom Slow Juicer because it is reasonable priced in relations to the other “higher end juicer models,” it juices quickly, and it presses the juices. Most importantly, my juice keeps all of its enzymes and life force because it does not get heated up by any mechanisms or blades. To boot, the clean up is quick because there are not very many parts. If you want to know where to find one and to learn more, you can check one out in the juicers section at the Food Matters Shop
Get in the kitchen and play. Let me know about your creations because I love learning new recipes, too. I will be juice cleansing for a minimum of 7 days. The more recipes I can get my hands the better.
PS: To stay updated on recipes, challenges, and tips, you can subscribe in the right side bar. And join the conversation below in the comment section.